Saturday 14 April 2012

Deja Vu

When I was writing book one, I had to deal with builders in our house building a loft conversion. This time during book two, I have to deal with the next door neighbours' builders knocking, sawing, and sanding away in the part of the house that is right next to my bedroom. Every time I feel ready to write something, noise comes in from next door that breaks my concentration and annoys the heck out of me.

So tell me readers, what do I do to not feel so distracted while I am trying to write?

I am asking for ways not to feel mentally distracted. I do not like to move my laptop away from my current location so going out to a cafe is not an option for me right now. What works for you?



p.s. I plan on spending tomorrow morning commenting on all of your blogs. 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe listen to music if there is something like classical music you could listen to and not be distracted that might also drown out the builders. I listened to a baseball game the other day and found it helped keep distractions down but I could still focus on the work I was doing.

Raj said...

i haven't really written in ages. so i cant answer that, but i believe that when u r writing in a flow, i.e. when your mind is immersed in whatever u r writing, one really doesn't get distracted.

well that's my case. yours i am guessing is different.

Golden Eagle said...

If there's a lot of noise bothering me, I usually put on headphones and play classical music--or anything, really.


The Golden Eagle
The Eagle's Aerial Perspective

Rahul Bhatia said...

This could be a problem, but if you really immerse in the project of writing, surely the noise will not distract you after a while:)

Nas said...

Good advice above about using the headphones. Try it!